The Valce portable console proudly bears the name "portable PC". Accordingly, this should mean that it can be modified like any computer. Linus Sebastian, the author of the channel Linux Tech Tips thought the same. With his the team he "pumped" key aspects of Steam Deck.
They decided to pump the device, but not to touch the processor and video chip. In the conclusion, they settled on the following changes:
- We increased the memory capacity to 4 terabytes with the help of an experimental 2 terabyte SSD. As a reminder, Valve in the maximum version of its console offers only 512 GB with the possibility of inserting a memory card up to 1 terabyte.
- Changed the sticks to electromagnetic - this will help to avoid drift.
- Improved the cooling system by adding an external cooler and working on the battery management chip.
- The protection of the Steam Deck has been strengthened: a case has been put on the device, and the protective glass has been glued.
- An external 36 watt-hour battery was attached, which increased the battery life of the device.
- With all the ultimate bodykits, the Steam Deck has significantly added weight: 1.1 kg compared to 677 grams of the original device.
They tested DOOM Eternal on their creation. At medium settings with native resolution, Steam Deck kept exactly 60 frames per second, and the temperature of the processor and video card fluctuated between 50-59 degrees. The presenters noted that the load was not so great, so the device did not need to be blown by an external fan.