Armed Forces of Ukraine use rare S-300V1 anti-aircraft missile systems at the front
Military analyst @UAWeapons said that Ukrainian defenders use rare air defense systems at the front. It's about the launcher. 9A83-1 S-300V1. One of these systems was noticed in the Luhansk region.
#Ukraine : A rare Ukrainian Anti-Aircraft capability appears: this is the 9А83-1 TELAR for the S-300V1 long-range air defense system in the vicinity of #Lysychansk.— ???????? Ukraine Weapons Tracker (@UAWeapons) June 13, 2022
UA reactivated some of these systems after the conflict in 2014-15, pulling them out of deep Soviet-era storage. pic.twitter.com/980w9QZciH
For those who are not in the know
S-300V is a series of universal, multi-channel anti-aircraft missile systems air / missile defense of the front-line link of the ground forces. The installation was developed within the framework of the unified air defense system S-300 since 1969 to replace the 2K11 Krug air defense system in the ground forces. The S-300V was put into service in 1988. The S-300V is designed to defend important military facilities, groupings of troops and administrative and industrial centers from attacks by all types of aircraft and helicopters, cruise missiles, other aerodynamic air attack weapons, aeroballistic and ballistic missiles for operational-tactical purposes.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union, two military units were based in Ukraine, armed with S-300V1 complexes. In 2012, the units were disbanded, and the complexes were sent for storage. Since the beginning of the war in 2014 installation reopened. As for the range of the S-300V1, it depends on the type of shells. The Armed Forces most likely use projectiles that can hit targets at a distance of up to 100 km.
For those who want to know more
- Armed Forces of Ukraine with the help of M777 howitzers burned three Russian "Grad" (video)
- Congratulated on the "Day of Russia": AFU shot down a Russian Su-34 fighter-bomber
- HMMWV with Mk19 grenade launcher in service with Ukrainian Armed Forces (video)
- Drone, thermal imager and projectile: The Armed Forces have shown how to effectively destroy racists
- Armed Forces of Ukraine received British armored vehicles HUSKY TSV
- Unique footage: Ukrainian artillery destroys a battery of Russian Msta-B howitzers (video)