Highlights from Nintendo's report: Nintendo Switch is hugely popular, Pokémon Scarlet & Violet sales are pleasing the developer, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best-selling Switch exclusive
By: Anton Kratiuk | 07.02.2023, 12:59
Nintendo has presented its financial report for the third quarter of 2023.
Here's What We Know
- During the last calendar quarter, the Japanese shipped 8.22 million Nintendo Switch units to shops;
- Total Nintendo Switch sales since release totaled 122.55 million units;
- The company plans to ship an additional 18 million Nintendo Switch units to shops by the end of the current fiscal year (through March 31, 2023);
- Nintendo Switch ranks third among the best-selling gaming consoles, behind only Nintendo DS (154.02 million) and PlayStation 2 (155 million);
- Total global sales of Switch games reached 994.3 million copies;
- Pokémon Scarlet & Violet sales exceeded all expectations with 20.61 million copies sold in 7 weeks;
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was the only Nintendo Switch game to reach 50 million copies sold. It is known that 52 million copies of the game have been bought.
For all its good fortune, Nintendo's revenues have fallen slightly. Thus, the year-end financial forecast has been lowered from 1.650 trillion yen to 1.600 trillion yen in sales and from 500 billion yen to 480 billion yen in operating profit.
List of the most successful Nintendo Switch exclusives in history:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 52 million;
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 41.59 million;
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 30.44 million;
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 29 million; Pokemon Sword & Shield - 29 million;
- Pokemon Sword & Shield - 25,68 million; Super Mario Odyssey - 25,44 million; and
- Super Mario Odyssey - 25.12 million; Pokemon Scarlet & Violet and Shield - 25.68 million; and
- Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 20.61 million (new);
- Super Mario Party - 18.79 million;
- Ring Fit Adventure - 15.22 million;
- Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! - 15.07 million.