The U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) has selected an aircraft for the Armed Overwatch program. It is the Sky Warden model. The company L3Harris Technologies writes about this. Together with Air Tractor it will be engaged in production.
The number of planes in the press release is not specified. Only it is known that the contract is open-ended. Its amount will be up to $3 billion. Initially, the Sky Warden planes will be assembled at the factory of Air Tractor manufacturer. Then specialists from L3Harris will modify them according to the requirements of Armed Overwatch. Production of the planes will begin in 2023.
What is Armed Overwatch?
This is a program of the U.S. Special Operations Command, which aims to create a fleet of versatile aircraft. They should be mobile and suitable for deployment in austere environments. Such aircraft are planned to be used for air support, precision strikes and fire corrections for other means of defeat.
Wha about Sky Warden?
The Sky Warden is an aircraft based on the Air Tractor AT-802, which has the largest payload capacity of any single-engine turboprop aircraft. The Sky Warden is equipped with many advanced sensors and on-board solutions from L3Harris. Another feature of the Sky Warden is its ability to take off and land on poorly paved runways.
Source: L3Harris Technologies
For those who want to know more
- Not just FA-50s: Poland buys more than 900 K2 Black Panther tanks and more than 600 K9 Thunder howitzers from South Korea
- Minus $16,000,000: A Russian Ka-52 helicopter went down in Kherson Oblast without AFU assistance
- Germany has handed over Mars II MLRS to Ukraine and intends to send IRIS-T air defense systems, as well as three additional PzH2000 anti-missile guns
- The Turkish Armed Forces received their first batch of SUNGUR man-portable air defense systems. It can identify and track targets
- Not just FA-50: Poland plans to buy American F-15 fighters
- The United States will transfer command and control vehicles to Ukraine. Most likely, they are needed to operate the M142 HIMARS
- The Come Back Alive Foundation bought the Bayraktar TB2 UAV for the AFU
- Ukraine received 50-60 Polish PT-91 Twardy tanks, but there will be more
- Ukraine will buy DJI Matrice 300 and FlyEye UAVs for $7,127,000
- Oleksiy Reznikov: Ukraine will receive Leopard tanks, but for now they will be used to train soldiers
- Jens Stoltenberg: NATO will give Ukraine hundreds of man-portable systems to combat UAVs
- 400,000 soldiers and more than 1,000 modern tanks: Poland is building the largest ground forces in Europe